Down Syndrome Pregnancy also hosts a medical outreach program for local organizations who want to provide resources for medical providers and support to expectant parents.
The Down Syndrome Prenatal Outreach Program was launched by Canister in 2008 and has been used by over 80 local Down syndrome organizations nationwide. The program is now part of the National Center for Prenatal and Postnatal Down Syndrome Resources and is available for any local Down syndrome organization to use.
The first purpose of the Down Syndrome Prenatal Outreach program is to raise awareness among medical professionals about available resources and support. This is best done by establishing relationships of trust between local Down syndrome organizations and medical providers; distributing materials; doing presentations; and maintaining the professionalism of local organizations.
The Down Syndrome Prenatal Outreach program generally consists of a parent or staff contact for each OB/GYN group in the region. The Down Syndrome Representatives replicate the model of a pharmaceutical representative by visiting the OB/GYN offices quarterly to build the relationships, distribute materials, and update the stock of materials as needed. Further, the Down Syndrome Representatives offer business cards with contact information to the medical professionals and are available via telephone calls or in person.
Down Syndrome Representative training is offered to so that Down Syndrome Representatives understand the organization and focus of the Down Syndrome Prenatal Outreach program. The training also instructs parents and staff about how to act as representatives of local organizations.
If you are interested in further participating in a live webinar or inviting us to participate in your local training, please contact us at email@example.com.
To view the training course, please refer to the following:
Medical Outreach Training Presentation: MedicalOutreachTraining2014
Recorded medical outreach training webinar
2016 Medical Outreach Resource Presentation: MedicalOutreachResources2016
- Information sheet template for local organizations to gather data about prospective Down Syndrome Representatives: DSRepInfo
- Contact log for Down Syndrome Representatives to keep track of medical offices visited: contact-log
- Script for a Down Syndrome Representative approaching a medical office for the first time: Script
- Conduct Policy Template for a Down Syndrome Representative representing a local organization: ConductPolicy
- Introduction Letter Template from local organization to medical office: DSRepIntro
- Lunch and Learn Presentation about Down Syndrome for medical offices: OfficeOutreachPresentation
- HIPAA Summary for best practices: HIPAA_summary
Other Helpful Resources:
- Webinar How To Pass a Prenatal Testing Info Law in your State by DSAIA, NDSS, and MDSC
- Recorded prenatal testing webinar featuring Dr. Brian Skotko and Mark Leach.